Rippchen mit Kraut
Region Hesse, Rhineland Palatinate
Recipe adapted from germanfoodguide.com
- Add one tablespoon butter to a large cooking pot. Peel and finely chop the onion. Add onions and lightly braise.
- Drain some of the sauerkraut juice. Add the sauerkraut to the pot. Mix in the white wine and juniper berries. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the ribs to the sauerkraut and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Wash and peel potatoes. Cut into large pieces. Add to a large cooking pot filled with water and a dash of salt, making sure there is enough to completely cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and allow to cook until potatoes are soft. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Mix in milk and one tablespoon butter.
- Serve each rib with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.