These gingerbread hearts are like the ones made for Oktoberfest — optimized for decoration, which means they are large, strong, and stiff. They’re as much keepsake as cookie.
- 125 g butter
- 250 g honey
- 100 g brown sugar
- 500 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp gingerbread spice mix
- 1 egg organic recomended
- In a saucepan, heat the butter, honey, and brown sugar until the sugar completely dissolves. Remove from the heat and set to cool down.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, cocoa, and gingerbread spice. Combine with the honey mixture and the egg. Knead into a smooth dough. Cover and refridgerate for two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C). Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4" thickness. Using a large heart-shaped cookie cutter or a homemade template, cut hearts out of the dough and place on baking sheet, leaving room for them to rise.
- Bake the gingerbread hearts for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool completely before decorating.