Far beyond ordinary grilled cheese, these sandwiches have an inner layer of sauteed onions and crevettes (shrimp) and are panini-grilled.
Servings 1 sandwich
- 2 slices German bread such as pretzel baguette or sunflower bread
- 1-2 ounces soft semi-ripened German cheese with green peppercorns (depending on size of bread)
- 1 tablespoon minced and sautéed white onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-10 crevettes or cocktail shrimp (depending on size of bread)
Created exclusively for GermanFoods.org by renowned German Chef Hans Röckenwagner
- Place thin slices of cheese on both sides of bread. Thinly layer one side with sautéed onions and crevettes.
- Fold together the two slices of bread with all ingredients sandwiched between. Brush outside with olive oil and place on panini press to grill. Cheese will melt quickly. Do not overheat.