The classic brownie, German style, made with dark chocolate, black cherry preserve, apple butter and honey. Served with vanilla ice cream. Recipe by Chef Jackie Newgent.
Servings 24 brownies
- 3 pkgs German dark chocolate e.g. Ritter Sport or Niederegger, 3-1/2 ounces each
- 1/4 cup German black cherry preserves e.g. Maintal
- 3 tbsp German spiced apple butter e.g. Grafschafter
- 2 tbsp German Acacia honey e.g. Breitsamer
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose e.g. German flour Type 405
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Recipe developed by Jackie Newgent, C.D.N., R.D.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Break or cut chocolate into 1-inch pieces and place in heatproof bowl. Gently melt chocolate in double boiler. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Coat an 8-inch square non-stick baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In large bowl combine preserves, apple butter, honey, eggs, egg whites, salt and vanilla extract. Whisk to thoroughly combine. Whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly pour melted chocolate into batter, whisking continuously. Spread batter in pan. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake 20 minutes or until springy to the touch. Cool on rack. Cut into 24 bars.
*Option: Use mixture of 1/4 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour and 3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour.